Government lawyers affirm fight over 2020 census isn't over, according to statement to judge
News

Government lawyers affirm fight over 2020 census isn't over, according to statement to judge

TARA BAHRAMPOUR AND JOHN WAGNER |
July 5, 2019

The government has begun printing the census forms without the question, and that process will continue, administration officials said.


The Justice Department affirmed Friday that it still is pursuing a path for adding a citizenship question to the 2020 Census, according to a filing in federal court in Maryland.

The filing followed statements earlier in the day from President Trump in which he said he is "thinking of" issuing an executive order to add the controversial question.

Government lawyers said in their filing Friday that the Justice and Commerce Departments had been "instructed to examine whether there is a path forward" for the question and that if one was found they would file a motion in the U.S. Supreme Court to try to get the question on the survey to be sent to every U.S. household.

Attorneys for the government and challengers to the addition of the question faced a 2 p.m. deadline set by U.S. District Judge George J. Hazel to lay out their plans.

Credit by - The Texas tribune

Read More


If you like the story and if you wish more such stories, support our effort Make a donation.




Loading...

If you believe investigative journalism is essential to making democracy functional and accountable support us. »