Curfew clamped in Kashmir ahead of Friday prayers

Curfew clamped in Kashmir ahead of Friday prayers

Cobrapost |
July 15, 2016

Curfew clamped in Kashmir ahead of Friday prayers


Curfew was clamped in Kashmir on Thursday in view of Friday prayers which see large congregations as authorities apprehended fresh violence in the Valley where 36 persons have died and over 3,100 injured in clashes following the killing of Hizbul militant Burhan Wani last week.

“Curfew has been imposed in all 10 districts of Kashmir Valley today as a precautionary measure for maintaining law and order,” a police official said.

No major clash was reported on Wedneday from anywhere in Kashmir where uneasy calm prevailed with normal life remaining disrupted since last Saturday.

The official said the decision to impose curfew was taken as there were apprehensions that vested interests might exploit the large gatherings at Friday prayers to instigate fresh violence.

Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley for strict implementation of the prohibitory orders, the official said.

Authorities have also pulled the plug on mobile telephone services in the Valley to prevent any rumour-mongering.

“Only postpaid connections of BSNL are working,” the official said.

Although the official did not assign any reason for allowing the BSNL postpaid connections, it is believed that the comparatively small number of mobile phones were kept functional as most of the government and police officials use this service.

Mobile internet services continued to remain suspended for the seventh day today while trains are also off the tracks in the Valley.

Violent protests rocked Kashmir last weekend following killing of Burhan Wani and two of his associated in an encounter with security forces on July 8 in Kokernag area of Anantnag district.

In the ensuing clashes with security forces, 36 persons including a policeman have been killed while 3,140 persons including 1,500 security personnel.

Normal life has remained paralysed since Saturday in Kashmir on account of separatist sponsored-strike and curfew-like restrictions imposed by authorities.

The separatists groups — both factions of Hurriyat Conference and JKLF — have been issuing strike calls two days at a time, as they did during the 2010 summer agitation which left 120 people dead.

If you like the story and if you wish more such stories, support our effort Make a donation.


If you believe investigative journalism is essential to making democracy functional and accountable support us. »